Monday, November 1, 2010

SIOUX FALLS REPORT - DAY 1

Three day shows are awesome!  Three day shows are exhausting.  Which just proves that a glass can be both half full and half empty.  Jean and I went over to the show site on Thursday to set up and grab a big chunk of grooming space.  That went really well and the weather was perfect.  Smooth Collies thad the dubious honor of showing at 8 am all three days so I was glad that the areas were almost all together by the time we arrived on Friday a.m.  Since I was entered in obedience and rally only for the weekend I was happy to play support staff.  Truly, it is one of my favorite jobs and it's incredibly relaxing.  The only bad part of the entire weekend was my knee.  Thanks to good friends I had a good knee brace to wear and between that and a large bottle of ibuprofen my walk only slightly resembled that of the tin man.
Spice was fabulous in novice obedience with points lost mainly due to her handlers ineptitude on the on leash heeling and failing to keep the leash from tangling all over the place.  Her stand was shakey on my return with some foot movements (which the judge NQ'd her on and I thought was excessive, just my opinion).  Her off leash heel was pretty good and her recall was fast and straight, but with no sit in front and no finish.  She broke the sit stay too.  I was still really pleased because she had such a good time!  Considering we practice alone and she's never done any classes or done any sit stays with other dogs, yea I'll take the NQ proudly. 
The bummer of the day was that Jean had a terrible reaction to her flu shot and ended up sick at the show on Friday and could hardly walk by the evening.  So we all missed her company for the rest of the weekend. 
And the drumroll moment of the day was the eyecheck on Reid....he is NORMAL EYED!  Yippee!!  Dr. Betts about gave us heart failure when he said "there is something wrong with this Collie"..."he is normal eyed".  A lesser person would have decked him for that, but since he shared his cookie with Reid it was pretty hard to be mad at him.  :-)
Onto day 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment