Wednesday, October 17, 2012

More Hobblets and Other Stuff

Gus and Eli (formerly known as Manning) have been here for a while now and having 4 Hobblets around is like watching a day long action movie complete with stupefying stunts.  Thankfully, Declan and Gus get along fine for the most part, so the only dog that still can only play with girls is Hobbs.  Since Hobbs is almost always attached to me I do not believe he really cares who he goes outside with, it's not like he out very long.  Gus is learning to be a good indoor dog including "wait" and "off".  Off is especially important given his size.  He is stunning and I haven't seen such a big goofy blue dog since my Ripley.   Eli is just sweet.  Sweet sums him up perfectly.   Ava thinks having more bros around to play with is great.  Cruz thinks it's all a bunch of hooey.  On the Cruz front, the addition of chamomile to his regimen has helped him settle and increase his confidence.  I am hoping that at some point soon he will be confident enough to be available to a companion home.  Gus and Eli will head home in another 30 days. 
Foster dog Lena has recovered from her spay.  I think she probably came out of anesthesia completely recovered, but that's Lena.  If only I could harness her energy for good instead of evil.  Just kidding!  For a dog that was raised outside with no concept of manners or how to listen, she is doing very well.  She is crate trained and had only one accident in the house, she no longer requires being covered to eat and can chew a bone or play with a toy with the older dogs around without an issue.  I suspect her guarding behaviors were due to lack of training and having to fight for everything she got.  She knows "wait" at the door and at her crate door, "kennel up" to go into the crate and gets "off" about 65% of the time without needing a reminder.  Walking a leash proved to be more my issue than hers, I just don't have the strength anymore to handle a 60lb, semi out of control pulling dog on a simple buckle collar.  Did I tell you that Lena is only part Collie?  And that the other is German Shepherd and Aussie?  She is gorgeous but has a decidedly un-Collie personality.  So I am using a Gentle Leader with her instead.  We are still at the stage of getting it on her and adjusted.  Baby steps with Lena continue.
I am sad to say that two of the dogs have had to go to new homes and thankfully their breeders were kind enough to take them back to re-home them.  So I said a sad good-bye to both Trace and Charlie.  I don't like to think about it too much, it makes me too sad.  Harold has a new home the first part of November and Spice and Biscotti are on the bubble--still waiting on very very special homes for them. 
For your viewing here are pics of Eli, Gus and Lena.
Eli (Northern Oaks Maiwae MVP)

Gus (Northern Oaks Anstett Sole Survivor)

MWCR's Lena - AVAILABLE thru MWCR

No comments:

Post a Comment