Thursday, August 30, 2012

Just Stuff

I am kind of bored today although there is always plenty to do.  It is getting close to that 95-100 degree mark today and even the wind is hot.  At 6 a.m. it was glorious, cool with a light breeze and I took advantage of that and hung my laundry out.  By 9 a.m. it had turned much warmer and everything was dry.  This is good because with Cruz around you cannot hang out laundry and expect it to stay on the line.  I do believe he "inherited" this trick from his buddy Charlie.  Charlie, Cruz and Ava are the terrible trio.  Toss in a little of the Trace naughty streak and that is just trouble.  Trace is short, I mean he is a corgi, it's not like he is very tall, ya know?  But despite his height challenges he has figured out yet another way to escape the yard.  I fixed all the potential ways to dig under the fence, to unwind chain link gates and to push the front gate apart enough to ooze thru, but I did not count on his ability to take flight and use his nose to push up the side gate latch.  We have now had two night escapes or escapades depending upon your outlook.  After being out in the middle of nowhere for four years I have ceased to panic about open gates anymore as house is so far off of the barely traveled gravel that traffic is not a concern.  Getting lost in the corn-not really a problem as the entire planting area is surrounded by fence so they have to pop out somewhere and really no one truly bothers the cows enough to warrant fear of getting kicked or trampled.  My worse fear is that they encounter a skunk (ugh!) or some bigger wild animal that may cause them harm.  I was worried that Shortcake would wander off and that would be a pain to find her since she is pretty hard of hearing now and gets "lost" in the yard.  Speaking of Shortcake, age is taking it's toll on her and the vet put her on a trial of Rimadyl since she seems rather painful.  I think it is beginning to help some.  Since she still enjoys life-barking at the tractor, mealtime and can still take down a dog that is misbehaving I hope to have her around for a while longer. 
Knee update-still sore, swollen and lacks mobility, but I can at least sleep now without having it elevated and am able to be up on it longer periods of time without terrible pain.  Another doctor visit in two weeks and likely a different brace.  Running a dog around the ring is impossible at this time, which puts a huge damper on continued agility and herding training.  Although I may have to suck it up and get back out to John's a few times this fall, poor Charlie is just dying to herd, or maybe sleep on the bed--it's a toss up. :-)
Next week I will have the pleasure of having a couple of extra dogs for a couple of weeks.  Gus and his lil bro Manning are coming down for some training time.  Ava is doing really fab on her conformation work and is finally finding some sort of focus.  I want to get her started on rally training now as I have no idea when her head, body and mind will all align for the show ring--haha! 
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment