Thursday, August 23, 2012

My Place In The Universe

So where is my place or what purpose do I serve in this universe?   Such a philosophical topic for an otherwise mundane blog.  I've spent the majority of my life in and out of the "what am doing here?" mode.  At any given time I have had the answer and I usually stay with that answer for long periods of time.  I knew I could train and show dogs, so that was my purpose.  I knew I was good at my job, so that was my purpose and getting to a new level in that "career" was my purpose.  I'm pretty sure given the age-death statistics that I am beyond middle age (or I'm going to live to be into my late 90's--a scary thought!) but there are days I think I may be in a mid-life crisis.  But does a mid-life crisis last for a decade?  Okay, so maybe there are no rules to that. 
I love having dogs in my life, I'm still not sure if I love showing dogs anymore.  I shall reserve decisions on that until I figure it out.  Please do not hold your breath.  Anyone who has known me for longer than 30 seconds should know I can't make a quick decision to save my life.  But I do believe I have found my place or purpose in the universe and it is in fostering Collies in need.  I enjoy it very much, I get a sense of accomplishment from fostering and I know I have completed a task in full when they are adopted.  My own dogs are wonderful with the fosters.  I can work on the foster with geriatric dogs, middle aged dogs, young dogs, small dogs, fast dogs, slow dogs, alpha dogs and soft dogs.  I swear my kidlets know exactly what every foster dog that has been in the house needs in the way of "help" and they give it to the foster dog.  I will say my guys were pretty happy to see the two young puppies leave, but then again I was also exhausted from having them!
My next foster dog will arrive sometime next weekend and I am excited to get this new Collie here!  I'm sure I'll have updates to follow.
Until next time, planted firmly in my place in the universe... 

No comments:

Post a Comment