Tuesday, June 28, 2011

FOUND: ONE GARDEN

Eureka!  I have discovered the garden!  It only took 3 hours of weeding this a.m. so I call it a success.  The beans as I thought are a loss.  Rabbit.  Bad Rabbit.  I have placed a Wanted Poster in the dog room--dead or alive (preferably dead) rabbit, reward will be one extra large chicken thigh in your dinner.  After all, the dogs do sometimes need an incentive.
The garden surprised me today.  The tomatoes that I had pretty much given up on are enormous and flowering--yippee!!  And the beets that the rabbit ate the tops off of are actually growing although they look a bit sad on the top.  The peppers, peas, squash and cucs are flowering and of course my onions had been going great guns since they were first planted.  My hopes of being able to put up pickles, tomatoes, sauces and salsa may actually turn out, fingers crossed.  The peaches will be ready to get as of July 1 and I have plans to can them and make some jam.  Oh and the herbs I planted are lovely.  I picked thyme, rosemary and oregano to put in my roasted chicken tonight.  The lavender is close to being able to start some small harvesting and drying.  It's going to be a homemade Christmas my dear family and friends.  I promise not to poison anyone or make any of Aunt Bea's Kerosene Cucumbers.  ;-)
Oh and this past weekend Jean spotted a huge asparagus patch that I didn't know what it was.  In fact I thought it was just another bunch of weeds along the field fencing.  So I guess next year asparagus gets harvested too.  The apple trees had a nice amount of blooms this spring so I am hoping that I will get apples to pick this fall for something.  Jean slices and freezes hers for pies, etc.  I might have to try that one.  Or maybe I can dry some of them and put them with the lavender for potpourri...hmm...ideas....
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment