Friday, April 8, 2011

I CAN SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD....AND OTHER THINGS THOUGHT ABOUT AT 4 A.M.

Another "bright" idea gone horribly awry.  Sometime way back at the end of last summer I said, "Let's go to the Collie Club of America National Specialty show".  I was sure we would all have a great time even though it's a long road trip to Tulsa, OK.  "What should we enter?" I asked.  (This is where Sahra and John should have been smart and run for the hills).  That question quickly snowballed from a couple of dogs in conformation, to several dogs in rally and obedience, to Bryce in agility and finally in one last desperate act to completely separate my brain from my body, herding.  Oh yea, that's right, it will be a totally all week event for the three of us.  I have been reminded frequently that it is all my fault.  Bright ideas and all that.
So I sit here on the computer at what is now 5 a.m. after being up all night doing final packing, checking off lists and tripping over dogs that KNOW I have lost my mind.  My motto--I can sleep when I'm dead, or after the National, whichever comes first.  I am still pretty amazed at how much I can condense into various totes.  By the way, thank you to the inventor of the rubbermaid type tote.  Oh yes, and the inventor of duct tape.  A story for another time.  Oh, did I mention that in order to save on driving, we are all going in the same van with 7 dogs and had to rent a trailer for the mountain of stuff?  I get nauseous when I look at the staging area (otherwise known as the garage).  My prayers are with John who gets to pack it all in. 
All kidding aside, I am totally tickled that we are almost ready to hit the road.  I can't wait to get there and see some people I haven't seen in a very long time.  There are new dogs to look at and a first time try for Sahra and I herding with the Collies.  I am also honored to be running Sahra's Bryce in agility.  So what does a week at the Collie National entail?  Sun/Mon--herding with 3 dogs, move to show site Monday after herding (why is herding always 2 hrs away from the show site?)  Tues--conformation and agility followed by the welcome party and gifts!  Wee ha!  I hope it's something sparkly!  Wed--more conformation and the round of 1 dog in open obeidence, 1 in novice obedience and beginner novice obedience, 1 in rally excellent, 1 in rally advanced and 4 in rally novice.  Lather, rinse, repeat on Thursday, where there is the likely possibility of conflicts.  Which means I may have to show Bryce in rally.  Friday is a fun, easy day with one dog in Best of Variety.  Then a day of watching on Saturday and fingers crossed, at least 2 of the dogs qualifying for Most Versatile Collie at the specialty. 
I'm saying prayers for no more annoying problems and roadblocks, good weather, safe travel, sticky goats, sturdy knee braces, the economy sized bottle of ibuprofen and a few rosettes, ribbons and titles along the way.  My grateful thanks to everyone that was roped into watching the other kids while Spice, Declan, Reid and I head "where the winds come sweeping down the plains"--Jean who has a very pouty Trace, Deb and Scott with Jam (who I hear excels at taking up real estate), Chrisy and Nick with Harold (EGADS! It's a rough!), John who took back one only slightly overspoiled Charlie, and Lance who has fallen for Maddy.  I am particularly happy that Maddy is staying with someone who loves her and not in the kennel for the 10 days. 
Okay, time to do a final checklist sweep and move more stuff to the staging area.  We circle the wagons on Saturday!
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment