Saturday, August 20, 2011

ADULTS AVAILABLE

I have two adult male rough Collies available pending being neutered.  This is where my breeder side wars with my non-breeder side.  I have had to push myself to make decisions based on a few facts:  not every dog is supposed to be in my breeding program; not every dog wants to be the member of a large pack of animals;  I can only keep so many dogs that are not part of my breeding program.  Would I love to keep every dog that comes into my home?  Yep!  Can I or Should I? Nope!  So with a heavy heart I offer up two wonderful dogs that will bring unending joy to another family:

Harold is a 3 year old sable and white rough boy.  (His birthday is 9/4/08). He has his RN and U-RO1 but I have found he is pretty much stuck at that level.  This makes him an excellent companion dog as he is obedient and knows well the basic commands of life-sit, down, stay, come and he walks like a dream on leash.  He is also pretty good off leash and has learned to come to a whistle with about 75% accuracy.  He is a Collie though and will chase anything that zooms past him.  Harold loves kids and does well with other dogs except extremely over the top dominant males.  He runs with my other boys, both intact and neutered and is fine because they are not looking to cause trouble.  He is good with cats too.  Harold is housebroken, crate trained and a well behaved house dog.  He loves to play with toys, especially tug and fetch, and will cuddle up for a good snuggle.  His one bad habit is his barking.  It's one of those annoyingly high pitched barks and he does it when I leave him in the kennel or out in the yard and walk away where he can see me but can't be with me.  If he's out alone, he's fine.  It's only when he can see me and would like to be with me that it's a problem.  Harold is up to date on vaccinations, is heartworm negative and on monthly preventative and microchipped. 

Kit is a nearly 5 year old tri rough boy.  (Birthdate 12/23/06).  He is a fairly recent addition having been acquired in late May this year.  Kit is very bright and learned quickly, he is housebroken, crate trained and can be found snuggled up on my bed more often than not.  Kit arrived with some medical issues.  He had a very bad hookworm and whipworm infestation and was grossly underweight.  The worms are gone and he also has had a clean panel of bloodwork. He is also heartworm negative and on monthly preventative as well as being microchipped.  However, Kit continues to have weight issues.  I have tried various foods including cooking for him and he is still only 61lbs on a frame that should be 70 lbs.  Since he is physically healthy on vet exam and testing, I feel that neutering him to see if having a shift in his hormones, is the next step to getting him completely back to normal.  Since I cannot show nor breed a neutered boy, Kit will be seeking a new home.  Kit is so loving, very gentle and craves attention.  He is a velcro dog, so he will need someone that likes having a shadow following them around.  He is good with kids and other dogs as long as they don't attempt to be aggressive with him.  Cats are an unknown so I am saying, no cats for Kit.  He has no formal obedience training but is great on a leash and I think a fun obedience for the home class or even an agility class would be a great thing for Kit.  Kit would probably make a good 4H dog as long as the family is willing to put time into his grooming.  And here is the negative about Kit, he has a soft coat.  It requires brushing a minimum of once a week and for a companion dog I would recommend keeping it shorter.  NOT SHAVED, just trimmed shorter so that he is not so prone to picking up things and getting tangles.  Unlike Harold who you can run a brush through once a month or whenever he picks up a burr or stick and it pops right out, Kit's hair will pick burrs and turn them into knots. 

If you would like information on either boy please contact me via email at:  k9krazy10@msn.com or by phone at 563-927-1430.  I do require references as well as a signed contract for purchase.  Both Harold and Kit will be ready to go upon being neutered.

No comments:

Post a Comment