Sunday, July 18, 2010

BIG WEEKEND FOR A LITTLE BOY

Reid had a huge weekend!  As of this post, he has had his first trip outside in the x-pen.  This was quickly followed by a second trip outside, out of the x-pen.  He was totally unhappy inside the pen and totally joyous to be out with the big dogs.  Obviously I wouldn't leave him alone out there with all the big dogs as there are too many areas he could get into trouble at his age and size, but if I stay out with him he is fine.  My dogs have all seen puppies and other dogs come and go and they are very easy to get on with.  Mama Spice keeps an eye on him and so do Auntie Maddy and Auntie Dora.  Who would have thought Dora would be so protective?  Dora has been itching to get into the whelping box with the pups since week one.  She will literally get snarky at the other dogs if they get too rough around Reid.  I'm sure Dora would be the one to teach Reid the ins and outs of being a good boy (she is the Diva and the boss of the house) but Dora leaves next weekend for her home with my sister and her family in Tennessee.  Dora and Ben should make a perfect team. 
Reid has gotten into this mood of not wanting to do any potty inside any portion of his box.  When I came home on Friday he was out of the box and had pottied outside the box.  So I spent an hour enlarging the area and making him a sleep/play place and at the way other end a potty area.  Unfortunately, he would still rather potty out.  Well, okay it's not unfortunate, it's pretty cool really.  As to the remainder of this outdoor adventures, he has walked about 1/2 way around the dog yard area and back, bouncing around trying to keep up with the rest of the dogs.  He got under the porch and thankfully was able to be coaxed out.  He learned to stand on his hind legs to drink out of the big dogs bucket outside. 
Today has been more firsts for Reid.  He has actually pottied outside 90% of the time versus inside his pen or on the kitchen floor (one of his favorite places I'm afraid).  What a good 5 week old puppy!  I'm not sure he really correlates what he does to me wanting him to do it outside, but hey I'll take what I get at this age.
He climbed up on the bottom step by himself and then basically fell off of it two seconds later.  I put him on the porch and he followed the rest of the kids into the house up over the threshhold without falling over.  Definately a major accomplishment!
And finally he got his first visit with kids!  My landlord was over the take care of cows and the garden and the kids got to play and hold Reid for a while.  He was so cute with them--very social little guy for sure.
So now he is off to his favorite sleepy space, nope not his pen or his fluffy bed, but the pile of blankets on the floor by the bedroom door.  I believe he is like his daddy Bryce, he likes cush. 
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment